Connect with us

New Movie News

Academy Adds ‘Popular Film’ Category to Oscars

Charmaine Blake

Published

on

(CNN)Could this be “Black Panther’s” big chance?

On Wednesday, the organization announced a number of impending changes to the Oscars, including its intention to add a new category for achievement in popular film.
The details regarding eligibility in this category have not been announced — and the Academy did not say when the change would take effect — but the new award’s purpose is clear: make sure the box office’s biggest money makers have a chance to walk away with Oscars gold.
There have been instances in the past where this has already happened, of course.
Films like “Titanic,” “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King,” and “Forrest Gump” ruled the box office in their respective years and also earned best picture awards. But recent years have seen some of the year’s top-grossing films either earn awards solely in technical categories or get shut out of the Oscars completely. (One of the few exceptions to this was “American Sniper,” which grossed $350 million domestically and earned a best picture nomination.)

Last year’s best picture winner, “The Shape of Water,” earned $63 million domestically and topped out at No. 10 in box office rankings during its time in theaters, according to figures from Box Office Mojo.

The Academy’s motivation for extending honors to so-called popular films is a hope that the new award will help attract viewers. The most-watched telecast in Oscars history was in 1998 when “Titanic” won.

Last year’s telecast hit an all-time low in ratings with just 26.5 million viewers, a drop of 20% from the previous year.

Other changes set to take place, according to the Academy: a stricter adherence to a three-hour telecast and an earlier airdate for the 92nd annual Oscars.
The Academy had said the date of the 2020 ceremony would be February 23. That has changed to February 9.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/08/entertainment/academy-popular-film-category/index.html

New Movie News

Ryan Coogler Reportedly Set To Write And Direct ‘Black Panther’ Sequel

Charmaine Blake

Published

on

Black Panther” filmmaker Ryan Coogler has reached an agreement to write and direct a sequel to the 2018 Marvel mega-blockbuster film, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The Coogler-helmed “Black Panther” is Marvel’s highest domestic grossing film ever, earning just over $700 million in the U.S. and $1.3 billion worldwide.

“Black Panther” wasn’t just big with fans and at the box office. It achieved critical acclaim, landing a “certified fresh” 97 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. The film, which starred a mostly black cast, also struck a cultural chord by redefining the merits of black-led films for mainstream audiences.

Coogler rose to prominence with his 2015 hit “Creed” featuring Micheal B. Jordan, who also stars in “Black Panther” as the villain Erik Killmonger.

Marvel and Disney have made no announcement on the filming or release date for the sequel, but sources told The Hollywood Reporter Coogler would write the film next year and begin filming in late 2019 or early 2020.

The film may still be a ways away, but fortunately there’s plenty to tide Marvel fans over between now and the “Black Panther” sequel……………………………..”

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ryan-coogler-reportedly-set-to-write-and-direct-black-panther-sequel_us_5bbfbeaee4b040bb4e806086

Continue Reading

New Movie News

‘Too Much, Too Fast’: Disney to scale back production of Star Wars movies

Charmaine Blake

Published

on

After the disappointing box office performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story, Disney CEO Bob Iger says fans can expect some slowdown

“After months of rumor and speculation, Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed that its production and release of Star Wars movies will be scaled back.

Iger admitted that he had made a mistake, and that there had been too much, too fast in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, after it put him at the top of its list of the most powerful people in the entertainment industry.

He added: You can expect some slowdown were going to be a little bit more careful about volume and timing.

Disney had received considerable criticism after the disappointing box-office performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story, the second of the anthology spinoffs designed to run alongside the core main Episode narratives and to alternate with them in the release schedules. Solo had a troubled production history, during which the directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were replaced by Ron Howard, and was released in May 2018, only six months after Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Solos box office figures were considerably poorer than those of Rogue One, the previous Star Wars anthology spinoff from 2016, and is on course to become the first film in the franchise to lose money. The suggestion is that Disney failed to anticipate franchise fatigue.

Iger did not elaborate on the future of the two spinoffs believed to be in development a Boba Fett film to be directed by James Mangold and an Obi-Wan Kenobi film with Stephen Daldry rumoured to direct but did confirm that Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and DB Weiss are developing [Star Wars] sagas of their own.

However, Igers comments appear to back up the supposition that Disney and Lucasfilm will be concentrating on the main episodes, and he confirmed that JJ Abrams is busy making [Episode] IX. Abrams as yet untitled film is due for release in December 2019…………….”

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/sep/21/star-wars-disney-to-scale-back-production-solo

Continue Reading

New Movie News

Peter Dinklage gets yet another Emmy for his role as Tyrion Lannister

Charmaine Blake

Published

on

Peter Dinklage wins yet another Emmy for his role in ‘Game of Thrones.’

Image: hbo

Peter Dinklage won his third Emmy for most outstanding supporting actor in a drama series at the Emmys on Monday.

Dinklage, who plays the iconic Tyrion Lannister in HBO’s Game of Thrones, was nominated alongside fellow Game of Thrones actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who plays his brother Jaime Lannister.

For his work as Tyrion, Dinklage has been nominated in the category seven times, winning in 2011, 2015, and now 2018.

In his acceptance speech, Dinklage thanked Coster-Waldau, who earned his first Emmy nomination for his work on Game of Thrones this year.

Hopefully both actors survive the final season of Game of Thrones coming in 2019, or at least get one more nomination next year if they do meet their demise.

Continue Reading

Trending