Sources told USA Today that Wahlberg earned $1.5 million for the reshoot while Williams only received an $80 per diem that amounted to less than $1,000.
Actress and activist Amber Tamblyn called the reported pay gap “totally unacceptable.” Producer Judd Apatow called the story “so messed up that it is almost hard to believe.” Jessica Chastain, who is currently starring in the Golden Globe-nominated “Molly’s Game,” said Williams is a “brilliant” actress who “deserves more than 1% of her male costar’s salary.”
Director Ridley Scott reshot much of the film, which recounts the kidnapping of oil tycoon J. Paul Getty’s grandson, after actor Kevin Spacey (Getty) was accused of sexual assault. Christopher Plummer replaced Spacey in the reshoot.
When asked about the reshoot costs in December, Scott told USA Today that they were “not as expensive as you think” because “everyone did it for nothing.”
“They all came in free,” Scott said. “Christopher had to get paid. But Michelle, no. Me, no. I wouldn’t do that.”
Scott did not mention Wahlberg’s name in the list of people who didn’t receive compensation. Williams told USA Today that she agreed to forgo a salary on the reshoots because she “appreciated so much that they were making this massive effort” to recast the role. Both actors are represented by the same talent agency, William Morris Endeavor.
The report flies in the face of Williams’ work in the newly-launched Time’s Up campaign, an effort led by female stars to address gender discrimination in Hollywood and other industries. To call attention to the movement, Williams and scores of other celebrities wore black to Sunday’s Golden Globe Awards. Williams also brought “Me Too” creator Tarana Burke as her date.
“I thought I would have to raise my daughter to learn how to protect herself in a dangerous world and I think because of the work Tarana has done and the work I am learning how to do, we actually have the opportunity to hand our children a different world,” Williams told Ryan Seacrest during a red carpet interview. “I am moved beyond measure to be standing next to this woman, I have tears in my eyes and a smile on my face.”
Reps for Wahlberg, Williams and Scott did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Joaquin Phoenix in talks to play the Joker in 80s-set Scorsese-produced tale
The Oscar-nominated actor is reportedly the top choice for a gritty take on the Batman villain from The Hangover director Todd Phillips
Game of Thrones creators to write and produce new set of Star Wars films
David Benioff and DB Weiss take charge of films separate from the pre-existing franchise and Rian Johnsons previously announced trilogy
‘The Passion Of The Christ’ Actor Promises Sequel To Be ‘The Biggest Film In History’
The actor who played Jesus in Mel Gibson’s 2004 biblical blockbuster “The Passion Of The Christ” is in talks to resurrect that role.
Jim Caviezel is in negotiations with Gibson to participate in an upcoming sequel to “Passion” that will focus on the resurrection of Jesus Christ, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The 49-year-old Caviezel was hesitant to reveal more details about the film in an interview with USA Today, but he promised that it will be “great.”
“I won’t tell you how [Gibson is] going to go about it,” Caviezel told USA Today. “But I’ll tell you this much, the film he’s going to do is going to be the biggest film in history. It’s that good.”
It’s been nearly 14 years since the original “Passion” opened in theaters. The R-rated film focused on the final hours of Jesus’ life and was filled with violent, graphic imagery of the religious figure’s torture and crucifixion.
But some Jewish and interfaith groups protested how the film portrayed Jews as being responsible for Jesus’ death. The Anti-Defamation League expressed concerns that the film could fuel anti-Semitism.
Gibson himself was criticized after spouting anti-Semitic remarks during an arrest in 2006. He later apologized for his words.
Gibson confirmed in late 2016 that he was working on a sequel to “The Passion Of The Christ.” He said he hoped the film would be more than just a chronological retelling of the events of the resurrection.
Gibson indicated that the film may not be released until late 2019 or early 2020 because the resurrection is such a complex topic.
“The Resurrection. Big subject. Oh, my God,” Gibson told USA Today in 2016. “We’re trying to craft this in a way that’s cinematically compelling and enlightening so that it shines new light, if possible, without creating some weird thing.”
During a recent conference sponsored by The Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), Caviezel spoke to Catholic college students in Chicago about some of the physical obstacles in recreating the crucifixion. At one point, he said his shoulder was dislocated while he was carrying the cross.
“Every day, I had to pick up that thing. It was like a penance, it ripped into my shoulder, tearing into my flesh,” he said. ” With each passing hour it got heavier.”
Before he potentially returns to the role of Jesus, Caviezel will appear in a religious film about the apostle Paul, playing the role of his companion Luke. That movie is scheduled to hit theaters on March 28.
CORRECTION: A previous version of this story stated incorrectly that Luke was a disciple of Jesus. He was a companion of Paul the Apostle.
New Movie News1 day ago
Keira Knightley to star in forgotten story of Iraq war whistleblower
New Movie News1 day ago
Feast your hungry eyes on Chadwick Boseman’s Rolling Stone cover
Netflix Stuff7 hours ago
Jessica Jones is as Angry as Ever in Season 2 Trailer
New Movie Tech5 hours ago
Snoke Screens: Designing the User Interfaces In The Last Jedi